Jothydev Kesavadev, MD
|Jothydev’s Diabetes & Research Center
JDC Junction, Mudavanmugal,
Kerala, India 695032
tel +91 471 2356200
fax +91 471 2356666
cell +91 984 6040055
Research Diabetologist based in Kerala, South India.
Several National and International presentations and publications to his credit.
First speaker from Kerala at American Diabetes Association.
First invited speaker at International Diabetes Federation from Kerala.
- CEO and Director: Jothydev's Diabetes Research Center, Trivandrum
- CEO & Chairman: Jothydev’s Diabetes Research Center, Cochin
- Chairman & Founder CEO: Kesavadev Trust Diabetes Basic Care, Trivandrum
- Chairman and Managing Trustee: Diabscreen Kerala, P.Kesavadev Trust
- Managing Director: Living Longer Life Care (Private Limited)
- Director, Indian Institute of Diabetes- 2002
- Asst. Professor of Medicine: Government Medical College, Trivandrum- 2000
- Lecturer in Internal Medicine: Government Medical College, Trivandrum- 1996
- Endocrinology research fellow at Mayo Clinic, MN, USA- 2003
- MD, Medical College, Trivandrum, Kerala, India- 1996
- MBBS, Medical College, Trivandrum, Kerala, India- 1989
Major areas of Research:
- CGM, Insulin Pumps, Telemedicine
Memberships in Professional Associations:
- American Diabetes Association.
- American Geriatrics Society.
- RSSDI (Research Society for the study of diabetes in India)
- Association of Physicians India (API)
- Indian Medical Association.
- Geriatric Society of India.
- Indian Medical Association, AMS.
- Diabscreen Kerala, doctor’s forum.
Select Original Research/ Publications/Presentations:
- An Asian Indian woman with Wolfram syndrome on Insulin pump: successful pregnancy and
beyond. Kesavadev. J et al. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, Vol. 13, no. 7, July 2011 Continuous Insulin Infusion Systems in Type 2 Diabetes, Journal Of Association of Physicians of India (JAPI)Vol. 59, Apr 2011
- The usage of basal-plus regimen in the management of diabetes, Indian Journal
of Clinical Practice (IJCP), Apr 2011
- Use of Insulin Pumps in India: Suggested Guidelines based on Experience and Cultural
Differences. Kesavadev.J, Das.AK, Joshi.SR, Jothydev. S, Viswanathan. M Diabetes Technology &
Therapeutics, Oct 2010; 12(10).
- Reduction of glycosylated hemoglobin following 6 months of continuous subcutaneous insulin
infusion in an Indian population with type 2 diabetes. Kesavadev J, Balakrishnan S, Ahammed
S, Jothydev S, Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, Aug 2009;11(8):517-521.
- A Clinician’s Perspective on Liraglutide in Clinical Practice, N.Tandon, M.John, SK Sharma, Jothydev Kesavadev, B.Ganapathy; Supplement to Journal of
Association of Physicians India (JAPI), Vol.58, June 2010: 29-30
- Use of Acarbose in graded doses in T2 diabetes subjects to achieve postprandial sugars below 140mg/dl and A1c below 6% with a tele medicine based titration program, Indian Medical Gazette, Nov 2008.
- Gatifloxacin induced abnormalities in glucose homeostasis in a patient on Glimepiride,
- Journal of Association of Physicians of India (JAPI), Dec 2006
- Diabetes in old age: an emerging epidemic, Journal of Association of Physicians of India (JAPI),
- Diabetes in the older patient" chapter in text book on "Primer on Geriatric Care" pg 177,
C.Blaum MD, Jothydev, MD. Oct 2002.
- "Geriatric Principles" chapter in text book on "Primer on Geriatric Care" pg 19, D.ERosenblatt
MD, Jothydev, MD. Oct 2002.
Newer Insulin and Insulin pumps, The Journal of the Association of Physicians of India (Tamil
Nadu Chapter)(TAPIJ), Vol:2, Issue:2, May-Aug 2010: 5-11
- Insulins in Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion. Kesavadev.J; Asian Journal of Diabetology,Vol.12,No:2,April-June 2010:9-13.
- American Diabetes Association, San Diego, California, 2011
A1c, BP and LDL goals: Successful Use of Telemedicine (DTMS) in 1000 Compliant T2DM Subjects
over 6 Months: 229-OR
Utility of CGM over Conventional SMBG in Making Treatment Changes in Insulin Requiring
T2DM Patients: 912-P
Significance of Screening for Thyroid Disorders in Type 2 Diabetes : 1377-P
Change in Antihypertensive Medication Dose Following Initiation of Liraglutide in Patients with
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: 2357-PO
- Advanced Technologies and Treatment for Diabetes (ATTD), London, UK, 2011
CGM as a tool For Therapeutic Decision Making (TDM) In Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus P-108 Pregnancy, Wolfram Syndrome and Insulin Pump: benefits beyond glycemic controlP-109
- ESICON, 2010
Effectiveness and Tolerability of Once Daily Human GLP-1 Analogue Liraglutide in
Patients with Type 2 Diabetes in A Real Life Clinical Practice Setting-PO
- American Diabetes Association, Orlando, USA, 2010
- Telefollow up and SMBG Via “DTMS”- A Cost Effective Tool for A1c Lowering – 2083-PO
- High Prevalence of Elevated Transaminases among T2DM in S.India – 2340-PO
- American Diabetes Association, New Orleans, USA, June 2009 (speaker)
- Role of CGM in modifying Diet and Lifestyles in Diabetes subjects – 268-OR.
- Requirement of high dosage of insulin in previous users of Glibenclamide with uncontrolled diabetes – 2079-PO.
- American Diabetes Association, San Francisco, USA, June 2008
- Experiences with Insulin Pump in 52 Patients with Type 2 Diabetes in India- 2021-PO
- Insulin Aspart Induced Lipoatrophy in a Patient on Insulin Pump- 2093- PO
- High Prevalence of Dyslipidemia and Hypertension Detected in a Screening Program for Diabetes in a Rural population of a Southern State in India, Kerala (DIABSCREEN KERALA-04) – 2424-PO
- A Study on the Effects of Acarbose in Reducing Post-Prandial Blood Glucose and Achieving HbA1c – 438-P
- American Diabetes Association, Chicago, June 2007
- Achieving Desirable Glycemic Targets without the risks of Hypoglycemia using a Tele
titration program -0421-P
- Dramatic Response of Painful Peripheral Neuropathy with Insulin Pump in Type 2
- World Diabetes Congress, International Diabetes Federation, Montreal, Canada 2009
- Good Nutrition: Avoidance of excess weight with Pumps- Symposium, (an invited Speaker)
- Low compliance of Statins in Kerala Rural Population (Diabscreen 14)
- Successful outcome of a multidisciplinary team over an individual approach in
imparting diabetes education.
- Advanced Technologies and Treatment for Diabetes, Basel, Switzerland, 2010-“Significant Alleviation of Neuropathic Pain with Insulin Pumps (CSII) in T2DM subjects previously on MDI”, Abstract 
- Advanced Technologies and Treatment for Diabetes, Greece, 2009
- Reasons for non compliance to Diabetes Tele Medicine Based Follow up Program in Type 2 Diabetes.
- Insulin Pump in 56 Type 2 diabetes subjects: Improvement of sexual satisfaction
and neuropathic symptoms.
As Principal Investigator for several research studies, a few are given below –
- Principal Investigator for Inhaled human insulin with the AERx iDMS as prandial monotherapy compared to combination therapy with metformin and glimeperide in type 2 diabetes: an 18 week, open-label, multicentre, randomized, parallel group trial with an 8 week extension to investigate efficacy and safety. (Protocol ID: NN1998-1787)
- A 26 weeks randomized, multinational, open-labelled, two armed, parallel group, treat-to-target, once daily treatment trial with insulin detemir versus insulin glargine both in combination with metformin in subjects with type 2 diabetes.(NN304-1768)
- Trial to Evaluate Cardiovascular Outcomes after Treatment with Sitagliptin in Patients with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Inadequate Glycemic Control on Mono- or Dual Combination Oral Antihyperglycemic Therapy (TECOS)
- A trial investigating the efficacy and safety of NN1250 compared to insulin detemir in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus in a basal/bolus treatment regimen (NN1250-3585)(DEGLUDEC STUDY)
- An extension trial to NN1250-3585 investigating safety and efficacy of NN1250 compared to insulin detemir in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus in a basal/bolus treatment regimen. NN1250-3725
- Use of telemedicine based self monitoring of blood glucose program to achieve target HbA1c value without serious symptomatic hypoglycaemia along with economic benefit in 1000 patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. : Retrospective study (IIS)
- A 24 week, open, multicentre, comparative study of 2 strategies (including insulin glargine versus premixed insulin) for the therapeutic management of patients with type 2 diabetes failing oral agents.LANTU_C_04589
- A 24 –week, multi-center, double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study to assess the efficacy and safety of vildagliptin 50 mg bid as an add-on therapy to insulin, with or without metformin, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus CLAF237A23135
- A long-term, multi-centre, international, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine Liraglutide effects on cardiovascular events (LEADER : EX2211-3748)
- A 20 week randomized ,multinational,open labeled, 2-armed,parallel group comparison of twice daily subject driven titration of biphasic insulin aspart (BIAsp) 30 versus twice daily investigator-driven titration of biphasic insulin aspart (BIAsp) 30 both in combination with Metformin in subjects with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on basal insulin analogues
- Effects of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII) on Erectile Dysfunction in T2DM Patients: A Prospective, Exploratory, Controlled Trial. (IIS)
- A double-blind, randomized, active-controlled, parallel-arm, single-center study on effect of sitagliptin on T2DM patients on treatment with metformin and insulin.(IIS)
- Evaluation of the efficacy and tolerability of bromocriptine in the treatment of uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus (USV/BROMO/001)
- PERSISTence on glimepiride-metformin fixed combination in everyday practice in Asia type 2 diabetes patients